Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Too Many Questions, Not Enough Answers!

I obviously don’t know what it’s like to be deaf; there’s no way I could. I don’t even know anyone on a personal level who is. Therefore, my judgment may be a little lacking in perspective. However, I’ll try to be as unbiased as possible.

The man in the story, Peter, I believe it is, was talking about how he had been successful even though he was deaf. While he was talking about this, he mentioned that it had been harder for him because of his deafness. Then he went on to say that he didn’t want the cochlear implant for his daughter because he succeeded and knew she could succeed too. My only question is: why wouldn’t you want to make it easier for her? I do believe that she can be successful, but he already admitted that it was harder for him than it presumably would’ve been for a hearing person. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t want to help smooth the road for his daughter. Isn’t that what every parent wants? I know hardship builds character, but isn’t it still a good thing to help out your child any way you can? Maybe not, but its something to think about, especially when the problem is as serious as deafness.

I also don’t understand why they would move to the deaf community. I see how it’s a good thing that the people accept them more than in the hearing world, but if their children are brought up in a place so far removed from the hearing world, then they won’t know how to function when they move away. It’s a temporary solution, but it won’t help in the long run. To me, it seems that they’re running away from a difficult situation. I understand their response to the problem, but I don’t agree with it. Or perhaps I just don’t understand it well enough.

If you can shed any light on my many questions, please comment! (But you can comment even if you don’t have any answers!)

7 comments:

  1. Wow I agree a hundred percent with this...I found it so odd that the father wouldn't want the best for his daughter, and that they would shelter her from the real world by moving her to that community. Unfortunately I don't really have answers for you because I too think it's completely ludicrous and can't even begin to relate to his reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely! I can't even begin to comprehend why Peter would deny his child the ability to hear--even if it's not 100% perfect, why not do everything you can to help her? I was glad to hear that they changed their minds within the five years after the filming took place, although I don't know why he wouldn't have gotten one himself. It would be interesting to see the follow up documentary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that moving to a deaf community isn't the best solution and it appears to be running away from the situation. As you said, I can't completely understand the way they view the situation because I'm not dear, but it seems like it would just make Heather's life so much easier if she got the implant. I think she should still be involved with the "deaf world" but it would be a huge advantage to be able to communicate with the "hearing world."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admired Peter initially for taking pride in being deaf, but when he tried to impose his own, I hate to say it but, "crippled" lifestyle on his daughter, I found his behavior revolting. His mother was right that he was being abusive. And I agree with what Sam said about the deaf community thing. It was cowardly and immature. It was even more pathetic in the epilogue, as Mr. Kunkle told us, when they moved back to New York, gave their daughter a cochlear, and his wife also got it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i definitely agree. i dont think its right that he should hold back his daughters from their full learning potential. I think he needs someone to elucidate the problems that are blocked off in front of him. By him excoriating the hearing out of his beautiful daughter (it feels like), i think it puts a damper on everything that her life has to offer (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree. I just didn't understand why he wouldn't want try to help his daughter however he could. I understand that he wanted his family to be part of the deaf world, but I think that Heather could have been an active member in both communities if given the opportunity. I was glad to hear that the majority of his family did get the cochlear implant, it will open so many doors for them.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this movie was a good description of the struggle that the deaf "community" is facing for its existence. Also, I thought that the description of Mr. Kunkle of what happened in the years after the movie showed how the deaf are doomed for extinction; that the family all got cochlears but Peter and the family was forced to move back to New York.

    ReplyDelete