Sunday, October 4, 2009

Thoughts on the First Half of AP Comp

It’s been pretty interesting so far…..

I’ve been loving all the writing assignments. My favorite was definitely the personal narrative. I love storytelling in general and I’m always looking for ways to become better at it, so this was a really fun assignment for me. I also really enjoying editing other people’s narratives, they were all very interesting to read (in a good way!) Aside from the narratives, the rest of the writing has been great as well. The critical analysis was different from anything I’ve ever written before, which was excellent. And the College Admission Essay, although I’m only a junior, was a good way to practice. Now I just need to make the corrections…

As far as the discussions in class, well, they’ve been interesting too. At least, that’s one word for it. Don’t get me wrong, opposing viewpoints are a good thing. Even arguing is acceptable to a certain extent. The only thing is, these heated discussions make the environment a little tense and make it difficult for others to jump in the conversation without fear of being ridiculed. I think maybe we all just need to take a nice deep breath.

The reading assignments have all been fascinating for the most part. I have to admit, Frederick Douglass lost me somewhere along the way, but the part I understood was definitely worthwhile. Actually, all our reading assignments have been worthwhile. They’ve been different and some are more interesting than others, but all have had at least one redeeming quality.

So the verdict is a good one. Parts of AP Comp are better than anticipated; some are just different from what I’d been expecting. But it’s going well and I’m enjoying it.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is going well too. I think that both the assigned essays and choice essays have been interesting so far, which makes them easier to read. Hopefully the rest of the class is as good as or better than the first half of class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the class discussions are a great thing. They get everyone thinking about their own views. Compared to other classes, these class discussions tend to be rather mild. I think it helps that people show respect (for the most part) towards others' opinions, even if they disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right about the assignments--I liked doing the personal narrative too! I really enjoy getting to write, and working on improving my work. I thinks it's going pretty well. I totally agree about the reading assignments/articles. All of them were really different but super interesting and original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, we have a lot in common. I'm really enjoying the class as well. It's a lot of fun trying to improve your writing work. I hope you learn plenty from this experience!

    ReplyDelete