Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Eyes

OK, I just have to blog about the eyes of Doctor T.J. Eckleburg. I must admit, they simply fascinate me. I can't stop thinking about them. They pop up in the most unpredictable places and they could symbolize so many things. I think that's one of the reasons I like them so much, they aren't confined to one thing, they could be anything (almost).

On the cover (of most of the books), his eyes appear as the dominant feature. It's the first thing you see, even before the title. I didn't pay much attention to that before I cracked the book open, but now I think it's pretty important. In the picture, the eyes are shown above a bunch of bright colors (symbolism in themselves), but in this image, the colors seem to be depicting a cityscape. There is a blue line right where the cheek would be, and it almost seems like it could be another light from the city, but then when you notice where it is located, you realize it's more like a tear. I like this picture because I think it really gets at the symbolism behind the eyes themselves.

This symbolism being that his eyes see EVERYTHING. And yes, I mean this literally. Every time something big happens, Fitzgerald talks about T.J. Eckleburg's eyes. This is especially true whenever Myrtle is involved. Each time someone slips up (and this happens often) those eyes are watching. Even when Fitzgerald doesn't mention them, you know they're there. The eyes are a constant in the book, never leaving, never moving, never blinking, never blind. It doesn't matter where you go, you can't hide from them. It's important, because with all the selfish people in this story making crazy choices, it's important to note that those mistakes do not go unnoticed. It would be all to easy to think that these people are in their own world, unreachable by the outside, but Fitzgerald wants to make sure we know that's not the case.

Another thing I noticed is that Dr. Eckleburg himself never makes an appearance. Has he since died? Or is he better left as a symbol, not a character? I, personally, was a little disappointed. I would have loved to see him described in Fitzgerald's vivid imagery. He could have been a person to intervene in these peoples' lives, instead of just looking on. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, though. He might not have been able to make a difference. He was only an oculist, after all. In any case, he is left as he is, seeing all, knowing all, the silent watchman.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! The eyes were a huge part of the book for me too. It confused me when I first came across them because I kept flipping back and forth between the cover and the page so much that I actually missed that it was a billboard the first time.
    Another thing that confused me, though, was that the eyes and the face on the front are very feminine...unmistakenably female in fact. And what's with the naked ladies in the irises of the eyes? Symbolism overload. I've got the conscience/all seeing eye/God part, but what is the rest of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analysis, Elise. But the question still exists: Did Eckleburg "see" Tom and Daisy, and if he did, did it even matter?

    ReplyDelete