Thursday, September 3, 2009

How I Write

When I write, I usually just dive right in. I used to prewrite extensively, but I've found that if I dive in right away and fix it later, my writing ends up more fluid and less "chunky." I don't want my writing to sound rehearsed and insipid, I want it to be relatable and genuine. Occasionally, it's good to take a minute and organize my thoughts before I start talking about them, but not frequently.

I like to write when it's silent, just me and the keyboard. A nice pointy pencil and blank piece of paper will also suffice. I love listening to music while I work, but I find that when writing, it's more productive to have utter silence. I'm complacent to just be alone and focus on what I want to say. I find that my best writing happens when there is absolutely nothing else for me to think about, nowhere for my mind to wander, nowhere for my hands to roam.

My feelings when I write are somewhat harder to describe. That's quite possibly becuase I have differnt emotions when writing about different things. My find myself feeling excited, zealous, even occasionaly fearful. However, I would have to say that most of the time, I just cannot wait to get my thoughts out and share them with the world. Really, isn't that what writing is?

No comments:

Post a Comment